***In “5 Ludicrous Questions,” we ask a comic book creator five things we’re pretty sure they haven’t been asked before. I mean, probably…***
By Rob Siebert
Ryan Parrott has written for both the silver screen and the printed page. His movies have been shown at film festivals around the world, including the Cannes International Film Festival and the Sundance Film Festival. He’s even directed his own independent feature, Loaded. In the world of comics, we know him from Star Trek and Starfleet Academy. In August, the first issue of Parrott’s new buddy comedy series Volition will hit the stands.
But for now, Parrott has business in the Morphin Grid.
Go Go Power Rangers, one of two PR books published by BOOM! Studios, is changing the way we look at those five ordinary teens we met in the early ’90s. Whether it’s the boyfriend we never knew Kimberly had, Billy’s dilemma about accepting a prestigious internship, or an all out brawl in Rita’s palace, Parrot knows how to bring the drama. That’s more evident now than ever, as Go Go Power Rangers is a big part of BOOM’s “Shattered Grid” event comic.
Parrott was also nice enough to get ludicrous with us. So he’s is a pretty cool guy.
Let’s dive in.
1. In an alternate universe, Kimberly Hart is bitten by a radioactive salad, and becomes Salad Girl. What are Salad Girl’s super powers?
She’d be super healthy, extremely sensible, and tougher than a week-old crouton.
2. David Yost had a great little “cameo” in an issue of Go Go Power Rangers. What other comics do you think he could have a little guest spot in? Maybe we could get him a referee gig in an issue of WWE…
I think he could rock an awesome Infinity Gauntlet.
3. You’re tasked with forming a cult. What kind of cult is it, and what are the rules?
I don’t think there are enough movie cults — so maybe the Cult of Die Hard. Tank tops. No shoes. And we only eat stolen Nestle Crunch bars.
4. What does Finster’s workshop smell like? I mean, logically I feel like it smells of clay. But I feel like there’s something else in there too…
Mahogany and self-loathing.
5. Which of these cartoon birds would you be most inclined to have a beer with?
A. Iago the parrot from Aladdin
B. Daffy Duck
C. Toucan Sam from the old Fruit Loops commercials.
Toucan Sam… and the commercials aren’t THAT old.
Email Rob at PrimaryIgnition@yahoo.com, or follow Primary Ignition on Twitter.